hex hall by rachel hawkins

Written by Darlyn At Saturday, September 25, 2010
Title: Hex Hall (Hex Hall #1)
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Pages: 323
Rating: 3.5/5
Source: Won from Leanna. Thanks!

Summary (Goodreads):

Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.

By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.

As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.

My Review:

At first, I have a mixed feeling on this book, whether will I like it or not. It is my first time reading a young adult witch's book and I'm afraid if I don't like it. I'm so eager but yet so worried. But after reading it and finished it, honestly, I felt a so-so feeling.

Hex Hall is an okay book. I don't find it really great but I strongly has to admit that it has an interesting premise. Sophie is not like any other witches and she's rock. She's not that annoying protagonist and she is more like any normal teen girl minus the bitchiness type. Her character is strong and I don't find any flaw about it which is a thank goodness. What I love most about her is that she is a very good friend which I love to have. Even though Jenna is the only outcast vampire and no. 1 suspect of a few attacks at Hex Hall, Sophie strongly believes that she knows Jenna is not the culprit. Sophie's crush, Archer, a warlock, is kind of weird and I don't think I ever like him. He is full of mystery and I can't really 'read' his character.

Frankly speaking, apart of the good things I've mentioned above, the story is quite plain and I really hope it would be juicier and a little bit more exciting. Well, there's actually a quite strong plot line but it's like the author did not really write it to the fullest. The climax is not really on the highest peak, quite linear and predictable. I wish the author could elaborate more on Archer's character, about Sophie's great-grandmother, and the ending is quite dull. I hope the sequel, Demonglass would be better than this.

However, it is still an enjoyable read, fun and a quick read. I would recommend to young adults fan and whoever likes a fun read.

8 comments:

  1. I am sorry you did not enjoy this book. I really liked it and thought the plot twist at the end was well thought out. It did leave me with questions about what would happen next, so I am anxious for another book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the honest review!! This one has been on my to read list for awhile, sounds like it's blah though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Darlyn, I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy this one as much as I did, I loved the twist at the end & really liked Sophie & Jenna :o) I've added your link to my review

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a feeling I'd feel the same way, but I think I'm probably too old for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for review-- it had its ups and downs, but maybe the next book will have some more spice.

    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your honest review. I'm not sure this one is for me either :)

    Glad to have you back :)

    You were missed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hex hall by rachel hawkins thanks for it all is very relevant and also useful thanks for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was surfing the Internet for information and came across your blog. I am impressed by the information you have on this blog. It shows how well you understand this subject. hex to decimal conversion

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments! XOXO ;p

 

Once A Bookworm Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review